WIUM Tristates Public Radio

Schuyler County Damage Assessments

May 6, 2013

The Schuyler County Emergency Services and Disaster Agency reported it is beginning to receive calls from residents and businesses about water damage.

Credit Scott Stuntz

ESDA Coordinator Richard Utter said anyone who suffered home or business damage due to heavy rains and flooding should call one of three agencies:

Schuyler County Health Department: 217-322-6775

Rushville City Hall: 217-322-3833

Schuyler County ESDA: 217-322-6680

Information you might want have available includes:

  • Address
  • Whether it is a house, apartment, or business
  • If your structure is owned or rented
  • Depth of water in the basement or first floor and whether the water was from sewer backup only
  • Whether the basement has a primary use living space such as a bedroom
  • Whether you have home owners, renters, and/or flood insurance
  • Whether there is structural damage such as collapsed walls or cracks

Documentation of damage is also important and could include pictures, receipts, and a list of possessions damaged or destroyed.

The information will be needed if the county is declared a federal disaster area.