The oldest county fair in Iowa gets underway in Donnellson this week. Organizers say the Lee County Fair, which dates back to 1841, will offer a little something for everyone from July 11-16.
Whitney Weisinger with Iowa State University Extension and Outreach said that -- among other things -- the fair offers an opportunity for local kids to show off their love and appreciation for agriculture.
Weisinger said there are now more than 220 members of 4-H between nine clubs in Lee County, which is an increase of about 30 kids in the past year. And she said there are now even a couple of “Clover Kids” clubs for elementary school age kids.
Weisinger said the Clover Kids will take part in a small pet show during the fair and have their artwork on display while the older 4H members are showcasing their livestock and participating in the annual horse show.
A scheduled for the 4H events is available here.
Grandstand Events (Admission Required) :
- July 11 - 6:00p – Crowning of Fair Queen, Jr. Fair Queen & Little Ms./Mr. Lee County Fair
- July 11 - 7:00p – Iowa Harness Racing
- July 12 - 7:00p – Hot Laps
- July 12 - 7:30p – IMCA Races
- July 13 - 7:30p – Freestyle Madness Motocross & BMX Throwdown
- July 14 - 7:00p – Kid’s Power Wheel Derby
- July 14 - 7:30p – Demolition Derby
Live Music :
- July 13 – 9p-2a – Captain Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters
- July 14 – 9p-2a – Stumptown
Other Events during the week :
- Kenny’s Funland Carnival
- Bob Bohm Family Entertainment (Magic Show, Survivor Game Show, Farmily Feud)
- Human Foosball
- Sand Volleyball
- Chess Tournament
- Car Show
- Tractor Pulls
- Ag Olympics
- Tai Chi Demonstration
- Wine Expo