The Rand Park Pavilion Commission in Keokuk is gearing up for a busy few months of live music and other events in one of the city’s largest parks. Chairman Jeff Fuller said the commission has organized seven free concerts this summer and fall. The first, scheduled for Saturday, May 26 from 7:00p.m. to 9:00 p.m., features Leaving Abbey.
“Leaving Abbey is a Beatles-inspired group, mostly out of the Burlington area,” said Fuller. “They have a unique sound. They have been here before, they love playing here and they have a following.”
Fuller said the other concerts organized by the commission this year offer a little something for everyone: country, blues, celtic, jazz, barbershop quartet and rock. He said the concerts are free to the public, though the commission does “pass the hat” to help pay for future entertainment.
Audience members will be able to bring their own alcohol to a few concerts. The city council authorized the consumption of alcohol in Rand Park several years ago.
Fuller said the Rand Park Pavilion was dedicated in 2009. It replaced a smaller performance stage that was rapidly deteriorating.
Fuller said, along with organizing the concerts, the commission handles scheduling for the pavilion. He said everyone involved is a volunteer and the city contributes money each year to help with maintenance, entertainment and promotions.
Concert Schedule (Sponsored by Rand Park Pavilion Commission)
- Saturday, May 26 – 7:00-9:00 p.m. – Leaving Abbey
- Friday, June 8 – 7:00-9:00 p.m. – The Boys
- Saturday, June 23 – 7:30-9:30 p.m. – Bluzillion
- Sunday, July 15 – 7:30 p.m. – Prairieland Barbershop Chorus
- Saturday, July 28 – 7:30 p.m. – Becca Sutlive & Friends
- Saturday, Sept. 1 – 7:00-9:00 p.m. – Switchback
- Sunday, Sept. 30 – 2:00 p.m. – Bullis Rutter Big Band
- Thursday, June 14 – 6:00 pm – Flag Day Ceremony (Elks Lodge)
- Friday, June 22 – Relay for Life
- Wednesday, July 4 – 4th of July Celebration
- Saturday, Aug. 4 – 7:00 p.m. – Praise in the Park (Cody James Ministries)
- Sunday, Sept. 9 – 10:30 a.m. – Workship in the Park (First Christian Church)
- Sunday, Sept. 16 – 11:00 a.m. – Church in the Park (Crossview Church)
- Sat., Oct. 20 – 4:00-7:00 p.m. – Fright Night (Keokuk Park & Recreation Board)