Most Active Stories
Fri August 8, 2014
Gaming Revenue Benefits Some Lee County Non-profits
The non-profit Foundation in Lee County awarded $95,000 in grants to 20 of the county's non-profit organizations.
Roger Ricketts, Vice Chair of the Lee County Charitable Fund, said the Foundation's goal was to distribute the money evenly throughout the county.
"There are lots of organizations in both Fort Madison and Keokuk that urgently need funds, so we look all of them over and we make the decision how we can best serve the entire county when we do this,” Ricketts said.
The Iowa Department of Economic Development provided the funding, which comes from the state’s gaming industry.
The Lee County Charitable Fund gives away 75% of what's allocated and puts the other 25% into an endowment. The group is then able to give away the income made off of that.
This year's money will support a variety of efforts including new tornado warning sirens in Denmark, roof repairs at Keokuk Union Depot, and volunteer recruitment efforts at the Big River United Way.
All non-profit organizations in Lee County are eligible to apply for the grants.
The fund has given out $300,000 over the last three years.
16 Tons Of Corn Was Shucked
Build Near Lee County Jail
Born Earlier This Year