Due to the extreme heat we are experiencing around the area, a number of public cooling stations have been set-up. If you, or anyone you know, is in need of relief from the heat please check the list below to find the closest location in your area.
In Macomb, IL
The University Union Prairie Lounge on the Western Illinois University-Macomb campus has been designated as a cooling center for area residents through Sunday, July 8. A drinking water refilling station is located near the University Union Bookstore entrance. Individuals are also welcome to watch television in the Murray Street Cafe. The University Union is open from 7:00am- 10:00pm Monday through Thursday; 7:00am- 11:00pm Friday and Saturday; and 8:00am- 10:00pm Sunday.
In addition, the first floor of the WIU Multicultural Center on C.T. Vivian Way/Murray Street, directly across the street from the Union, is designated as a cooling center from 8:00am- 4:30pm Monday-Friday, through July 6.
The McDonough County Red Cross, 1224 Maple Ave., is a designated center from 8:00am- 5:00pm through Friday, July 6, and the Community Room, located on the first floor of Macomb City Hall at 232 E. Jackson Street, will be open as a cooling center from 8:00am- 5:00pm through Friday, July 6.
The Housing Authority of McDonough County will have the following locations available on any declared heat advisory days, during regular business days, and during regular business hours, from 8:00am through 4:00pm:
- Eisenhower Tower Community Center - 322 W. Piper St., Macomb
- Greenbrier Community Center - 770 W. Hurst St., Bushnell
- Prairieview Community Center - 1407 E. Wheeler St., Macomb
Available Cooling Centers:
- First Church of the Nazarene located at 1501 Webster Street, Galesburg. Hours of operation: 10:30am- 4:30pm
- Community Center located at 150 East Simmons Street, Galesburg. Hours of operation: 10:00am- 6:00pm
- Community centers and fire stations outside of Galesburg will open on an as needed basis.