Fort Madison, IA – One of Lee County's elected leaders says he will step down after this year. District 3 supervisor Joe Kowzan's term in office expires January 2, 2007. The Fort Madison Democrat says he will not seek another term in office. Kowzan says he wants to be more involved in other projects, such as the North Lee County Community Foundation. Kowzan took office in January of 2005. He previously served 5 years as the mayor of Fort Madison and an additional 4 years as a city council member. He says this is the right time to make the decision.
Carthge, IL – Planners in Carthage have received the first draft of a Corridor 336 study. Economic Developer Brenda Pyatt says the town's Impact Study Committee has been working more than three years on the document. It covers infrastructure, zoning, planning beautification and other topics for the area to be developed along Route 336 as it passes the town. After the study committee reviews the plan, a meeting will be held next month for public comment on the proposals. It will be reviewed by the town's planning commission before being fowarded to the city council for possible approval.
Canton, IL – Spoon River Colllege is changing the name and expanding the focus of one of its divisions. What had been Career and Workforce Development is now Community and Workforce Education. Dean Carol Davis says she will continue to organize personal enrichment courses and job-related certification. However, she will also work more closely with economic development agencies throughout the district. She will be able to organize courses to meet specific training needs for new or existing firms.
Macomb, IL – The Schuyler-Industry school district is asking a court to direct a group of students to attend its schools ... or to pay tuition. The regional school board gave parents permission to detach from Industry and attend in Macomb. However, a series of court challenges has stayed final implementation. The students enrolled in Macomb last fall. However, the Schuyler-Industry district says court cases say the students should be attending there until all court cases are settled. It wants students to attend in Rushville, or pay tuition to Macomb.
Keokuk, IA – The Keokuk City Council has weighed in on the possible consolidation of Lee County government. The Lee County Board of Supervisors has spent the last year talking about creating one county seat, instead of the current seats, Keokuk and Fort Madison. The Keokuk City Council approved a resolution, last night, that calls on the supervisors to not act on any consolidation effort without a positive vote of the citizens of Lee County. Alderman Bill Olmsted says the citizens should have a say in the possible consolidation of Lee County.
Macomb, IL – A business from Chicago's suburbs has completed its acquisition of a western Illinois bank company. JGS Investments assumed ownership of Citizens Central Bancorp on February 1. CCB is the parent company of Citizens National Bank. The purchase price was not announced. The new president of Citizens National Bank is Todd Lester, who's been with the bank for 16 years. The new CEO is Jim Schisler, who's been with CNB for 46 years. Both positions had been filled by Tim Flemming. The firm says Flemming retired after 18 years with CNB.
Fort Madison, IA – Fort Madison residents will soon have a say in putting more money into the city's general fund. The city council has voted to shift how the money generated through the city's one cent local-option sales tax is spent. Currently, 60% goes into the general fund while the remaining 40% is used for Fort Madison's streets. The county wants 80% to go into the general fund, which is used for police, fire, and parks; and the rest towards streets. Mayor State Ireland says the shift could generate an extra $180,000 a year for the general fund...